Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Username and password are incorrect connecting to IMAP server on a iphone

When you try to connect to the Exchange Server, Exchange 2003, 2007 using iphone you receive an error message, indicating that your Username and password is incorrect, even though you know that you are typing the correct username and password to connect to the Exchange Server.


For IMAP the Username must be in the format Domain\Username, make sure that you enter your username in the above format. And if your Email alias is different from your username then you need to enter your username as follows Domain\Username\Alias. See examples below:

1. In this case the Username is Asmith and the default email alias is
So in the iphone IMAP userid field you will put the username in the format

2. In this case the Username is Asmith and the default email alias is
So in the iphone IMAP userid field you will put the username in the format

Please note that there are other requirements for IPHONE to connect to the IMAP server such as Port 143 should be open on your firewall and Port 993 must be open if you are using SSL, also IMAP must be enabled on the Exchange server and the User must be enabled for IMAP in the Active Directory Users and Computers

The above username format is not required for SMTP to work.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

440 Login Timeout in Exchange 2007 OWA

After I installed my SSL Cert on the Exchange 2007, and I tinkered around with some security in IIS my OWA stopped working both internally and externally.

I kept receiving this message:

"440 Login Timeout"

After couple days of struggling with this error and trying to fix the issue, I finally landed on the fix, so I wanted to put this out here for anyone who might experience this issue.

I basically had to blow the OWA virtual directory and then recreate it through Exchange Management shell. Please follow the specifics below


here's what i did to solve the problem on my server:
We have only one Exchange server (2007), so all the roles are on the same box.

a) In the Exchange management console, I made a note of all the settings for OWA.
Go to "server configuration\ClientAccess", then pick the correct server, then "OWA" tab, right click owa (default web site): properties (Make a note of all the settings for your environment, you will need to restore these settings manually.

b) use the Exchange Management shell and run the following:
(please refer to for details)
1) Get-OwaVirtualDirectory -Server to check the settings
2) Remove-OwaVirtualDirectory -Identity to remove the existing virtual dir (only owa in this case, I didn't touch the others)
3) New-OWAVirtualDirectory --Name "owa" (I only used the -name parameter, that worked for me)

c)Go back to the management console and restore properties of owa.

d) restart IIS via command iisreset /noforce

Web Outlook was running again after that.