Tuesday, December 11, 2007

440 Login Timeout in Exchange 2007 OWA

After I installed my SSL Cert on the Exchange 2007, and I tinkered around with some security in IIS my OWA stopped working both internally and externally.

I kept receiving this message:

"440 Login Timeout"

After couple days of struggling with this error and trying to fix the issue, I finally landed on the fix, so I wanted to put this out here for anyone who might experience this issue.

I basically had to blow the OWA virtual directory and then recreate it through Exchange Management shell. Please follow the specifics below

Solution:

here's what i did to solve the problem on my server:
We have only one Exchange server (2007), so all the roles are on the same box.

a) In the Exchange management console, I made a note of all the settings for OWA.
Go to "server configuration\ClientAccess", then pick the correct server, then "OWA" tab, right click owa (default web site): properties (Make a note of all the settings for your environment, you will need to restore these settings manually.

b) use the Exchange Management shell and run the following:
(please refer to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa998624.aspx for details)
1) Get-OwaVirtualDirectory -Server to check the settings
2) Remove-OwaVirtualDirectory -Identity to remove the existing virtual dir (only owa in this case, I didn't touch the others)
3) New-OWAVirtualDirectory --Name "owa" (I only used the -name parameter, that worked for me)

c)Go back to the management console and restore properties of owa.

d) restart IIS via command iisreset /noforce

Web Outlook was running again after that.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks man,

it really worked for my problem.

even during the working hours the email flow is not affected.

Cheers,
Albert